Acoustic-Fun SIO Glass Multi-Fiber TOSlink Cable(Select your cable length at the end of the page)
Acoustic-Fun SIO Glass Multi-Fiber Cable is a high quality optical cable with performance far exceeding what other run-of-the-mill optical cables can achieve. It is done by addressing the fundamental issues that affect all fiber optic cables, the ability to pass optical signal with minimal distortion.
Well, a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a simple illustration of the basic principles behind our advantage: (Click for larger version)
||Why would you limit your audio system with a sub-par plastic cable?
Large diameter plastic TOSLINK cables degrade the audio signal due to their jitter inducing design. The large diameter is meant to allow the optical signal to easily enter, this same property also causes the signal to scatter within the plastic optical fiber and travel in paths of wildly different distances. This will result in the same light pulse arriving at different time, and thus causing jitter in the received and decoded signal.
The SIO Glass optical cable excels in providing excellent detail, sound-stage, imaging transparency and focus. This is possible because our SIO Glass cable:
- Transmits a much more precise signal with low jitter.
- Is constructed with high quality Schott B3 Glass, a far superior medium for light transmission. (think telecom systems)
- Is constructed with multi-strands of finer Glass fiber, limiting the excessive scatter and reflections within the optical fiber.
Think of it this way, it takes light 3.3ns to travel across 1.0M of vacuum(about 4.7~4.9ns for Glass/acrylic), if some of the light took a path that's 50% longer because it is bouncing all over the place, it would mean a huge jitter of over 1.7ns. While most S/PDIF receiver chips have jitter of 250ps or less(better ones are around 50ps), which is almost an order of magnitude lower than the plastic cable.
Don't let a cheap plastic optical cable muddy your sound. The SIO series Glass optical cable is an easy upgrade to provide clean, smooth audio. As audio bit-rates increase, plastic optical cables will show their poor properties more readily while our Glass multi-fiber will still shine due to its advantages!
What else made our SIO series stand out from the rest?
- Over 250 strands of high quality Schott B3 Glass optical fibers are used to limit jitter, far more than the 65 strands that the other manufacturers uses.
- Multi-strand Glass optical fiber resists signal attenuation better than the single core through bends, allows much tighter bends with even lower signal loss. However, less bending is always preferred as it allows the cable to excel.
- Fine strands of Glass offers much higher bandwidth than the often used plastic fiber optic cables.
- Glass fibers are bundled, then micro-polished to perfection before a precision focusing lens is attached to each end, all are done to ensure perfect light transmission.
- Adaptive lens assemblies used will self-adjust and ensure the best optical connection, and also dampen vibrations to and from your equipments.
- Connector diameter: 14.5mm
- Connector type: TOSlink (Lens assembly protected by transparent sleeve seen in photo, remove before installation)
- Cable length: 1.0M
- Minimum bends radius: 35mm
- Cable diameter: 7mm
Before purchasing SIO cable, please check if your equipment has recessed TOSlink socket with smaller than 14.5mm opening. If your equipment has TOSlink socket flush with the panel, then you are all set and the cable will fit without the slightest of problems.
- Q1: My original ***** (insert your own plastic fiber optical cable name) is brighter, why isn't your Glass cable brighter?
A1: Glass multi-fiber indeed isn't as bright as a large diameter plastic fiber optic cable. However, the function of the cable is not illumination, but to transmit digital signals with great precision. Larger diameter plastic fiber allows a lot of light to pass, but also allows the light to scatter wildly in it, causing large amount of jitter and signal degradation. Think of the plastic cable's effect as a "blur" filter, it does not make light dimmer, but it smears the boundary of "on" and "off". This is one of the main problems with plastic fibers.
- Q2: ***** maker claim (insert the name of fiber optic maker's web site you've just seen) that plastic fiber works just great, and would not be making any notable difference, unless the cable is like 50 to 100 meters long.
A2: We are not quite sure what they've tested, but we have tried many different plastic fiber optic cable, and a few variants of Glass optical cable ourselves. We found very significant differences between Glass and plastic fibers. Even more significantly, a few meters of extra cable length can have a noticeable effect on sound more when in comparison to the regular 1.0M version. We've tested 1.0M and 3.0M versions of them and found (in order of descending sound quality) 1.0M Glass > 3.0M Glass >> 1.0M Plastic > 3.0M Plastic.
- Q3: ***** maker also (insert the name of another Glass fiber optic maker's name) have Glass optical cable, what makes yours better(or not)?
A3: We have tested several different types of Glass optical cable, and our use of adaptive lens allows better light focus, fewer scatter and better vibration dampening. The result is clearly and audibly better the ones not equipped with it. (Well, adaptive lens assembly is more expensive, and we use it only because it is better.)
- Q4: Will you have longer cable soon?
A4: That depends on popular requests, if a lot of people are letting me know that they want a specific length, I will carry it.
- Q5: Will you have good quality plastic cable soon?
A5: That also depends on popular requests, if a lot of people are requesting a budget plastic cable, I will find one that is a reasonable compromise between price and performance.
Why is it named SIO? We figured it would be fun to use the main ingredient of Glass (SiO2) as the series' name, but the subscript "2" is awkward to type, thus we played on the name a little and decided to call it SIO instead.
For KECES: All KECES products carries an 1 year parts and labor warranty.
For IeGO: All IeGO products carries a 5 year parts and labor warranty.
For Acoustic-Fun: All Acoustic-Fun products carries a 3 year parts and labor warranty, please keep your original shipping box as it will contain the serial number needed for the warranty.
For All Products: Within warranty period, we will fix or replace it as quickly as possible at our discretion(usually under 3 days). User will be responsible for shipping it to us, and we will pay for the return shipping. For product out of warranty, we will charge a minimal repair/return shipping charge and process it quickly just like we do for warranty. Warranty will be voided if the product is modified, physically damaged(including but not limited to: impact/fall, moisture/water, fire, lighting or other force of nature/acts of God), or improperly used in ways that the product is not rated for.
All right reserved, no part of this text and photos/images may be used without permission.
| ||Available Options: